Thursday, April 26, 2007

Entrepreneurship in South Africa - up or down?

My blog post for April 17 was entitled "Entrepreneurship on the decline in South Africa". As you can read in that post, this was the conclusion of the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor 2006.

This morning I find on the IOL Jobs site the following headline - "More South Africans Working For Themselves" ! According to Mike Schüssler in his South African Unemployment Report, entrepreneurship is on the increase!

How was this data researched and recorded? Why the discrepancy? Surely there is an empirically proven data-set from which these conclusions are drawn?
I am not a statistician nor do I have actuarial experience but what I do know is that both of these conclusions cannot be correct. Or can they??

Any useful comments would be welcome...

No comments: